Monday, April 19, 2010

The world?

There is so much in this world that I don't understand.

The world is huge.

I am tiny. I mean, it would take at least billions of people to cover every square inch of the globe. I'm just one person.

Yet, our world is tiny when compared to the galaxy in which it's located.

I guess that makes me like a grain of sand. I wonder how many grains of sand it would take to cover the world?

And even our galaxy is tiny in comparison to the rest of the universe.

I don't know what to compare that to. A mole? And atom? A molecule? A cell?

Basically, it seems that I'm one tiny, insignificant person.

It's pretty amazing, when you think about it, that there are only a handful of people who have been remembered throughout time, whose names are written in the history books, and whose stories have lived to be told.

Some of those people are remembered for their cruelty, some for their wisdom, some for their riches, some for their brains, some for their peace-making, others for their brilliance in military planning. Names come to mind like Hilter, Aristotle, Plato, Socrates, Ghandi, Napoleon, Nero, Henry VIII, Alexander the Great. . . yet, even of the people mentioned, there are many people that do not know who they are, many people that have never heard their names, and still others that believe the stories told are just myths.

Believing any story requires a little faith. Research requires relying on the statements and perceptions of past historians, scientists, archaeologists, eye-witnesses, etc. As an average person with no superhuman abilities, I cannot possibly track down every lead myself.

I am unable to climb into a time machine to go back in time to see for myself whether or not there really was a holocaust.

I can't fly to the moon with Armstrong and see for myself whether or not the moon landing really did occur. I will never be able to watch him plant that flag in the dust of the moon.

I just have to rely on the research and conclusions of other people who are relying on the statements of others. I can read a variety of sources and viewpoints, but in the end I must come to my own conclusion.

I can even determine that there's too much evidence supporting a staged moon landing, and too many flaws in the holocaust theory for it to actually be true.

Ultimately, I am held accountable for my decision, whatever decision that is. And when the time comes that accountability, I need to be ready. I'd better be prepared now to back up my decisions, beliefs, or opinions when the time comes. Because a time will come when I am confronted and a defense must be made.

There will always be unanswered questions, there will always be things too complex to answer, there will always be good questions presented by the opposing view-point. That's the part that requires faith. That's where I have to take a deep breath and say, "You know what, I don't have all the answers. I will never have all the answers. I could devote my life to research and never come up with all the answers. But these unanswered question don't change the rest of the evidence. The evidence points here, and even though I don't have all the answers, this is what I'm going to put my trust and faith in. The evidence is strongest here."

There are some things that are too important in life not to make a decision about. Decisions that are life and death. These are the things I must make a decision upon. They affect my life, and I cannot wait.

But in the end, I know my decision, though it requires faith, is one that was made with both logical reasoning and with faith. I may not have all the answers, but I didn't walk into this blindly. Few decisions in life are made with evidence in 100% support. Even the simplest math problem, 2+2 is not as simple as it seems. To a mathematician, 2+2=4, but to a chemist 2+2=0. (2. + 2. = 4.)

I venture to say most decisions in life are made both with logic and the heart. Pure logic and rationale cannot explain many of the greatest things in society. The mind can lead you so far, but it is the heart that demands a decision.

I've looked at the evidence that begs my heart for a verdict and I've made my decision.

No comments: